Swimwear Design Course
Would you like to design and make your own swimwear?
- Next Start Date To Be Advised. Click Here to Register Your Interest in the Next Course
Learn professional swimwear sewing construction techniques and pattern making. What you learn in this course can also be applied to making your own bras or lingerie.
Learn how to use industrial sewing equipment used for swimwear production. Also learn how you can make your own swimwear to fit you at home, using a domestic sewing machines and overlockers. Learn specialty stretch stitches, elastic application and more, to create a professionally finished swimsuit.
During the course you will get to make a couple of swimsuits (how many will vary depending on the styles chosen and the students speed). These can be made to fit you, or can be a standard size. You could make your own bikini, one-piece swimsuit, tankini and/or monokini.
Understand how to create an underwire bra swimwear top, with underwire casing - the same principles can be applied to making lingerie bra tops.
Learn the pattern making skills to make your own swimwear designs and learn how to take a pattern of an existing bra to get the perfect fit!
You will learn how to:
- use industrial machines to create a professionally finished swimsuit
- use domestic sewing machines & overlockers to make your own swimwear at home
- make your own swimwear patterns
- grade basic swimwear patterns to standard sizes *
- sew your own swimwear designs
- take a pattern from your own swimsuits or lingerie
- find out where to purchase swimwear fabrics and bra components (underwire, bra hooks, bra straps etc)
- how to create structured bra/bikini top with underwire and padding
* Standard sizes meaning sizes 8-10-12-14 for example. We will not cover grading up to plus sizes as this is more complex. Basic swimsuit grading only - grading bra cup sizes is not covered as this is more complex.
The equipment listed below is available for purchase at the school.
Swimwear Fabrics & Haberdashery:
- Swimwear Lycra Fabrics and lining
- Hooks and Clips
- Swimwear elastic
- Underwire cover
- Fabric scissors
- Tailors chalk
- Tape measure
Pattern Making Equipment:
- Grading ruler (optional - but a ruler is required)
- Tracing wheel
- Awl / Stilletto / Dart Marker
8 weeks (48hrs total). Saturday's 9.30am - 4pm.
Next Course Start Dates
- Next Start Date To Be Advised. Click Here to Register Your Interest in the Next Course
$1,500.00. A $200.00 minimum non-refundable deposit is required to enrol and secure a position in the course. The balance of the course fees is due on the course commencement date. (A 5 week direct-debit payment plan with ezypay is available, information will be sent to students with their confirmation of enrolment).
- Fashion Courses
- Full Time
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising
- Part Time
- Fashion Business Mentoring Program
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Fashion Design)
- Fashion Design Development
- Fashion Marketing & Merchandising
- Pattern Making
- Short Courses
- Beginner Sewing Classes
- Fast Track Fashion Design Course
- Fashion Business & Merchandising Course
- Footwear Design Course
- Textile Design Course
- Digital Fabric Design
- Fashion Buying Course
- Fashion Journalism Course
- Fashion Events Course
- Pattern-Making Course
- Swimwear Design Course
- Illustrator & Photoshop for Fashion Design Course
- Fashion Illustration Course
- Fashion Design & Pattern-making Course
- Stretch Wear Course
- Intermediate Sewing Classes
- Handbag Design Course
- Online Business Course
- Fashion Marketing Course
- Fashion Business Management Course
- Visual Merchandising Course
- T-Shirt Design Course
- Study Tours
- China Fashion Sourcing Trip
- Correspondence Courses
- Fashion Design & Styling
- Fashion Business & Merchandising
- Fashion Styling & Image Courses
- Upcoming Courses
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Photography)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Painting and Drawing)14th Mar 14
- Fashion Photography and Styling15th Mar 14
- Hair for You15th Mar 14
- Acrylic & Gel Nails22nd Mar 14
- Fashion Styling22nd Mar 14
- Eyelash Extensions23rd Mar 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care29th Mar 14
- Diploma of Photo Imaging31st Mar 14
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)1st Apr 14
- Handbag Design Intensive (2 Days)12th Apr 14
- Certificate II in Nail Technology12th Apr 14
- Manicure & Pedicure12th Apr 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time12th Apr 14
- Fashion Events26th Apr 14
- Fast Track Fashion Design26th Apr 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care26th Apr 14
- Advanced Facials26th Apr 14
- Fashion Illustration26th Apr 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time26th Apr 14
- Hot Stone Massage2nd May 14
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration2nd May 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care2nd May 14
- Waxing & Tinting2nd May 14
- Acrylic & Gel Nails2nd May 14
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) Part Time2nd May 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time2nd May 14
- Fashion Journalism4th May 14
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services5th May 14
- Fashion Retailing, Marketing & Merchandising23rd May 14
- Indian Head Massage14th Jun 14
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology21st Jul 14
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design28th Jul 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care23rd Aug 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time23rd Aug 14
- Aromatherapy13th Sep 14
- Body Electrics25th Oct 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy23rd Feb 15
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising2nd Mar 15
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services9th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)
- Latest News
- 14/11/13 AICD Photography students exhibition on next weekend...
- 14/10/13 Congratulations to Amelia Vivash - Winner of the 2013 Calico Brides, Felicia Austin - Runner Up and Anessa Catalano - Highly Commended!...
- 16/09/13 RAW Talent, check out AICD fashion graduates showcasing their ranges at the RAW Artists Showcase...
- 01/08/13 Fashion Friday Parade at Komune Resort featuring AICD's talented fashion design students - 7pm 2nd Aug 13 Komune Resort...
- 19/07/13 AICD Fashion Students to showcase their designs in the Brisbane Mall on 26th July 6pm...
- 19/04/13 Congratulations to Jane Rogers, winner a double movie pass for completing our styling graduate survey...
- 26/02/13 AICD is expanding! AICD Brisbane is moving into a new larger campus over the next few weeks! AICD Gold Coast's Acacia campus is also expanding too!....
- 21/12/12 AICD is now closed for the Christmas holiday break and will reopen on Wednesday the 3rd of Jan....
- 21/12/12 AICD Christmas Newsletter!
- 20/11/12 VET FEE-HELP Loans now available for Diploma of Beauty Therapy, Diploma of Photo Imaging, Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services, Advanced Diploma of Fashion and Textiles Merchandising and more...
- 19/10/12 Congratuations to our students Kerry-Ann Andersson - winner of the 2012 Calico Brides Competition, Jaymi Spina - Highly Commended Award Winner and our 5 finalists!...
- 24/08/12 You are invited to the 'Head in the Clouds' parade event Wed 24th October...
- 08/08/12 New 'Try a Career Workshops' announced...
- 27/07/12 New visual arts and design courses for 2013!...
- 03/06/12 Congratulations to our fashion student Kerry-Ann Andersson, winner of the 'Fashion on James' design competition...
- 14/05/12 Congratulations to our styling student Candice Naughtin, winner of 'The Stylist's Apprentice' competition by Westfield Garden City...
- 23/12/11 AICD is now VET FEE-HELP Approved! This means that you can now access VET FEE-HELP assistance for studying in our Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology and Advanced Diploma of Interior Design courses!...
- 22/12/11 Merry Christmas! The AICD office is now closed for Christmas and will reopen on the 2nd of January...
- 14/10/11 New Eyelash Extension Course!
- 12/10/11 Come along to the Hello Fashion presents AICD styling graduates parade on the 4th of Nov...
- 11/10/11 Congratulations to Liezl Boshoff winner of the Highly Commended Award at the 2011 Calico Brides Competition...
- 17/08/11 Enter our Photography competition to celebrate the announcement of new photography courses!...
- 17/08/11 AICD announces 2012 January Summer School courses...
- 12/07/11 Congratulations to Sara Hultman for winning the Avenue Designer Competition final on Sunday the 3rd of July...
- 15/06/11 Evolved Designs: AICD Advanced Diploma of Fashion Design students present their collections at Sanctuary Cove...
- 11/06/11 Winter Chills and Fashion Thrills parade a success...
- 11/05/11 AICD releases new Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy part-time course...
- 09/05/11 AICD Styling students present: 'For the Love of Fashion: Winter Chills and Fashion Thrills' parade at Light Space...
- 09/05/11 Support 6 local up and coming designers showcasing their latests collections in the Evolve Fashion Showcase at Sanctuary Cove...
- 21/03/11 Over the past week we have had some problems with our Website and Emails. If you have not received a response to an email or online course enrolment from the past week, please get in touch with us as we may not have recieved your message...
- 17/12/10 Shoe Design, Make-Up and Beginner Sewing Holiday Courses starting on Monday the 10th of January! Last minute positions available - enrol now!
- 17/12/10 The AICD team wishes everyone a very Happy New Year! We have now re-opened our office, call to book an appointment to find out about our courses for 2011!
- New Holiday Courses Scheduled to run in January!
- Congratulations to Katie Styles for winning the Billabong 'Design a Bikini' Bikini Showdown Competition!
- Come to see the Unborn Treasures Show at the Sanctuary Cove Theatre on December 14th...
- Congratulations to Masa Gracanic for winning the Halloween Costume Design Competition held by the Temple Bar!
- Congratulations to Jane Andrewartha for winning the 'Runner Up' prize in the Qld Brides Design Awards 'Calico Brides' Competition!
- Come along to the 'Students Present Fashion Friday' parade on Friday 24th Sept at Temple
- Photos from the Metamorphosis Parade!
- Come along to the 'Metamorphosis...' parade Wed 18th Aug from 6pm at Lauxes'
- Congratulations to Julian Napier for winning the 'Electic Playground Club Couture' Fashion Competition!
- Photos from some recent photoshoots!
- Congratulations to Masa for winning the 'Little Green Dress' Design Award!
- Congratulations to Sam, Hazel, Sally & Stevie for their awards in the 'Style Off' competition...
- AICD is opening in Brisbane in 2010! More information coming soon!
- AIBT is now ITEC approved, giving our beauty students the opportunity to achieve international qualifications in Beauty. More information coming soon.
- Varsity Lakes Train Station is now open!
- March 2010 Intake of Certificate III in Styling course booked out. Next course starting in April 2010 - limited positions.
- Congratulations to Kylie Landsborough for her win at the Qld Bridal Design Awards last night! Also congratulations to Aubrey Wright winning the 'Highly Commended' award, Han Ho and Stephanie Mowat for winning 'Commendation' awards!...
- New dates set for January 2010 Summer School Courses
- We are now offering Interior Design Qualifications! Check back soon for more information!
- Photos from 'SIX' fashion parade held at 19Karen on the 28th of August...
- Receive a double pass to the September Issue when you enrol in the Diploma of Fashion Design / Business or Styling...
- Student's graduation parade to be held at 19Karen Contemporary Artspace on the 28th of August...
- Photos from the parade at Elsewhere on the 21st of June...
- Our street address is changing on the 1st of July due to the Council's road name change...
- Student's Fashion Parade to be held at Elsewhere on the 21st of June...
- Congratulations to Renee Enoka for winning the 'Designing A Fashion Career' competition...
- Congratulations to our styling student Sarah Rugg for winning the 'Style Off' competition...
- Congratulations to our students Renee and Olivia who have become finalists in the 'Designing a Fashion Career competition...