Fashion Design: Advanced Diploma
LMT60307: Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology
- Next Start Date: Monday the 2nd of March 2015: 9:30AM - 4:00PM BRISBANE
- Next Start Date: Monday the 2nd of March 2015: 9:30AM - 4:00PM GOLD COAST
The Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology offers intensive training in fashion design processes including design and product development, pattern making, garment construction and computer aided design to give students the skills to work in their chosen area of the fashion industry.
During the first year of study, you will learn essential textiles, design, sewing and pattern-making skills and knowledge with classes over 4 days per week. Your week will generally be broken into one day per week of design and product development, one day per week of pattern-making, one and a half days per week of sewing and half a day per week of textiles and theory.
You will design and make a variety of garments including racewear, bridal, swimwear/lingerie and a mini collection preparing you with the essential skills to take a design idea from concept to creation. The course is very intensive and it is recommended that you keep one day per week spare for working on assessments and class work.
In the second year of study you will attend 3 days per week while you work on developing, designing and presenting a range of clothing, from concept to final production in order to learn the business skills of management, marketing and promoting fashion labels and scoping production options, both domestically and offshore.
On the completion of the Advanced Diploma, you will be in a better position to obtain work within the fashion industry as you will have experienced the process of designing and developing a complete fashion range, from the marketing to production stage. You will have a range of designs to show prospective employers your talent and skills, or be ready to start taking orders for your first wholesale fashion range for your own label.
During the course you will have the opportunity to enter into various fashion design competitions and show your work at various fashion parades and events. By participating in these competitions and events you will challenge your creative potential and receive invaluable experience.
After completing the Advanced Diploma, you can continue on to our Fashion Mentoring Program which guides you in launching your own fashion label. Alternatively, if you would like to continue on to further study you can enrol to complete the Bachelor of Design (Fashion Design) with the Whitehouse Institute of Design with one and a half year's credit, or alternatively you could participate in an overseas internship in Italy, Spain, the UK or China.
Start Your Own Fashion Label
During the second year of the course, you will design and produce your first range for your own label* (see above for more information). On graduating from the course, you can join our fashion mentoring program to guide you through the start up phase of your fashion label and assist you with putting in place important business and marketing strategies for the best chance of success. This program has been established to provide our graduates with additional business skills which are not covered by the Nationally Recognised Qualification and to provide you with further support and guidance in launching a successful fashion label.
* It is your choice whether you launch your own fashion label as an actual business during the Advanced Diploma.
On successful completion of the Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology you could have the opportunity to work in positions in the fashion industry such as:
Topic Areas Covered:
The following are examples of some of the topic areas that are covered within the Advanced Diploma course:
Qualification & Units of Competency:
Course Code: LMT60307 (Advanced Diploma)
CRICOS Code: 063388J (Diploma) & 063389G (Advanced Diploma)
On successful completion of the course, students will be awarded the ‘LMT60307: Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology’, which is nationally recognised as part of the Australian Qualifications Framework. The Applied Fashion Design & Technology course is the latest training package on offer, and is the most industry relevant qualification available.
On successful completion of the course students will receive competencies in the following units:
Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology (LMT60307)
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME|
|LMTGN2001B||Follow defined OH&S policies and procedures|
|LMTCL2003B||Identify fibres and fabrics|
|LMTFD2005B||Identify design process for fashion designs|
|LMTCL2011B||Draw and interpret a basic sketch|
|LMTCL3001B||Identify fabric performance and handling requirements|
|MSAENV272B||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|LMTFD4001B||Apply design studio process|
|LMTGN2009B||Operate computing technology in a TCF workplace|
|LMTFD4006B||Interact and network with fashion industry participants|
|LMTCL3009B||Develop patterns from a block using basic patternmaking principles|
|LMTFD3004B||Draw a trade drawing for fashion design|
|LMTFD4002B||Apply principles of colour theory to fashion design development|
|LMTFD4003B||Assist in preparation of preliminary design concepts|
|LMTFD4004B||Calculate cost estimates for fashion products|
|LMTFD4005B||Communicate and sell design concepts|
|LMTFD4010B||Create pattern to meet design specification applying advanced patternmaking principles|
|LMTFD4012B||Develop product specifications for fashion design|
|LMTFD4013B||Grade 2D patterns|
|LMTFD4014B||Identify contemporary fashion influences and construction techniques|
|LMTFD4015B||Create pattern from a block to meet customer specifications|
|LMTFD4016B||Sew design prototypes|
|LMTFD4020B||Use electronic fashion design tools|
|LMTTD5007A||Develop textile designs using computer based design programs|
|LMTFD4021B||Drape fabrics to make patterns|
|LMTCL2010B||Modify patterns to create basic styles|
|LMTFD5009B||Cost design production|
|LMTFD5011B||Produce fashion illustrations|
|LMTFD5015B||Develop patterns for complex fashion garments|
|LMTFD5017B||Apply design studio processes to meet client brief|
|LMTFD5016B||Grade shaped patterns|
|LMTFD5010B||Develop and present design concepts within specified guidelines|
|BSBDES602A||Research global design trends|
|LMTFD5001B||Design bras and swimwear|
|LMTFD5002B||Develop and test patterns for bras and swimwear|
|LMTFD6001B||Evaluate commercial viability of designs|
|LMTFD6002B||Manage product development of fashion design|
|LMTFD6003B||Manage fashion design process|
|LMTFD6006B||Develop a fashion range|
|LMTFD6008B||Apply studio processes to create and produce designs for commercial production|
|LMTFD5003B||Analyse fit model|
|LMTGN5003B||Work with international TCF supply chains|
|LMTFD5004B||Develop marketing plans for fashion products|
|LMTFD6004B||Manage advanced patternmaking processes|
|LMTGN6004B||Negotiate and manage contracts to produce finished design products.|
Examples of Students Work:
During the Advanced Diploma course students will have the opportunity to enter into a number of fashion design competions. Student's entry into these competitions is optional, although the college recommends that students enter at least one competition during their study as it provides the student with invaluable experience, and pushes the student to achieve.
Some of the competitions that our students have recently entered are listed below:
- Calico Brides Awards 2013 - Winner: Amelia Vivash, Runner Up: Anessa Catalano, Highly Commended: Felicia Austin
- Queensland Brides - Calico Brides Awards 2012 - Winner: Kerry-Ann Andersson, Highly Commended: Jaymi Spina
- Fashion on James Competition 2012 - Winner: Kerry-Ann Andersson
- Queensland Brides - Calico Brides Awards 2011 - Highly Commended: Liezl Boshoff
- The Avenue Designer Competition 2011 - Winner: Sara Hultman
- Little Green Dress Awards 2011 Student Category - Winner: Angie Ashton, People's Choice Award: Alana Schlener, Finalists: Belinda Masterson and Grace Peters.
- Queensland Brides - Calico Brides Awards 2010 - Runner Up: Jane Andrewartha
- Fashion Bash 2010 - Finalist: Sara Hultman
- Electric Playground Club Couture 2010 - Winner: Julian Napier, Finalist: Masa Gracanic
- Little Green Dress Award 2010 Student Category - Winner: Masa Gracanic, Finalists: Cynthia Coetzer, Grace Denniss
- Little Green Dress Award 2010 Wearable Art Category - Winner: Nicole Walker
- Queensland Brides - Calico Brides Awards 2009 - Winner: Kylie Landsborough, Highly Commended: Aubrey Wright, Commendations: Han Ho and Stephanie Mowat
- Queensland Brides - Calico Brides Awards 2008 - Winner: Nicole Walker, Highly Commended: Jessica Benson and Sherrilyn Lillie
- Australian Fashion Design Awards 2008 - Finalist: Begitta Stolk
- Queensland Brides - Calico Brides Awards 2007 - Winner: Angela Dill
- The Australian Wool Awards 2007 - Finalist - Bianca Latham
- The Cotton Awards 2007 - Winner: Angela Dill, Highly Commended: Veronca Nikolov
Check out some of our past student's websites:
Students in the Media:
Course Duration:The Advanced Diploma runs over 59 weeks plus holiday breaks, which vary for each intake. During the first year of study you will attend 4 days per week from 9.30am - 4pm (with a half hour lunch break). In the second year of study you will attend 3 days per week from 9.15am - 4.45pm for the first 18 weeks of the course and then have independent studio work for a further 4 weeks with progress meetings leading up to the final assessment submission prior to the graduation parade.
Click on the arrows below to go forward or backward through each intake's term dates. Please note that term dates are subject to change, please contact us to confirm future dates if required.
Course Fees - Domestic Students Only:
Course fees include:
- class notes
- pattern making paper for in-class activities
- use of the school’s equipment
- school t-shirt.
VET FEE-HELP is a government loan scheme which assists eligible students undertaking certain courses to pay for all or part of their tuition fees. The loan allows students to study now and pay later by deferring loan repayments until your income is above the minimum repayment threshold (in 2010-2011 this was $44,911). Once you reach the repayment threshold repayments are made to the Australian Government through the tax system.
If you are eligible for VET FEE-HELP
Students may choose to pay for all or part of their tuition fees upfront for the entire course, academic year or unit of study and/or can apply for a VET FEE-HELP loan for all or part of the tuition fees. Course fees are due no later than the census date for each unit of study.
If you are not eligible for VET FEE-HELP or choose not to apply for a VET FEE-HELP assistance:
Full Course Cost (Payment Plan): $25,300.00
- Non-Refundable Enrolment Fee: $2,300.00
- Balance paid in weekly direct debit installments (with Ezypay) over course duration: $23,000.00
- Student ID Card: (optional) $25
- Fabrics & Haberdashery for garments made during the course.
- Printing & photocoping by student.
- Student's have the option to participate in fashion parades and competitions during the year - costs to participate vary for each event. We highly recommend students to participate in as many parades and competitions as possible during the year.
Required Course Equipment:
A detailed equipment list is provided on course application and is also available by request by contacting administration.
Students will need to provide the following equipment:
- Sewing Equipment (approx: $200)
- Pattern Making Equipment (approx: $150)
- Art Equipment (approx: $200)
- 2 Textbooks (approximately $200)
- Basic stationary: i.e. display folders, notepad, pens, pencil, rubber. (approx: $80)
- USB Thumb Drive (2GB recommended minimum)
- A sewing machine for home use (see below)
- Fabrics and haberdashery for all class activities. *
- A laptop computer is required - please see requirements below
* Costs cannot reasonably be estimated as this will vary depending on the student's choices for their designs, although students are able to purchase fabrics from us at discounted prices.
Student's are required to have a sewing machine at home (domestic or industrial). Please speak to us if you are looking to purchase a machine as we can recommend which machines are best. (Second hand domestic sewing machines are often better than brand new machines). Often throughout the year we find second hand domestic machines that we have available for students to purchase for between $50 - $150.
LAPTOP / NOTEBOOK MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Students accepted into the program will be required to have a laptop computer for study with a wireless network connection. The following minimum specifications are required:
- Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n
- Minimum 4Gb RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
- 2.5Ghz or faster processor
- Web Browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari) (free online)
- Anti-Virus Software.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (free online)
- Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard CS4 or better - Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.*
- Microsoft Office 2007 or higher (Students require Word, Excel and Powerpoint).
* Please check software manufacturers minimum system requirements. Student pricing available.
Eligible students may be able to apply to Centrelink for either Youth Allowance (for full-time students aged 16 to 24) or Austudy (for full-time students aged 25 years or over). For more information visit the Centrelink website.
Applications - Domestic Students Only:
Application and Enrolment Process:
- Attend an interview at the college and complete an interview test - phone (07) 55 938 335 to arrange your interview. (If you live outside the South East Qld Region and are unable to attend an interview, contact us to have the application forms posted to you).
- Fill out and return the Application Form (this can be completed at the interview).
- Student's will recieve their acceptance/non-acceptance letter and enrolment pack in the mail - including enrolment form, payment plan forms and the student handbook.
- After reading the student handbook and enrolment forms, student's who wish to enrol must submit the enrolment form with the course deposit to secure their position in the course.
Next Course Start Dates
- Next Start Date: Monday the 2nd of March 2015: 9:30AM - 4:00PM BRISBANE
- Next Start Date: Monday the 2nd of March 2015: 9:30AM - 4:00PM GOLD COAST
- Facial Course25th Jul 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time25th Jul 14
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services28th Jul 14
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design28th Jul 14
- Beginner Sewing Lessons30th Jul 14
- Fashion Business Mentoring Program1st Aug 14
- Beginner Sewing Lessons5th Aug 14
- Spa Treatments6th Aug 14
- Digital Fabric Design9th Aug 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time9th Aug 14
- Massage9th Aug 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care9th Aug 14
- Hair Styling19th Aug 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care23rd Aug 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time23rd Aug 14
- Diploma of Photo Imaging25th Aug 14
- Pattern Making25th Aug 14
- Spray Tanning30th Aug 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care5th Sep 14
- China Sourcing Trip3rd Oct 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time11th Oct 14
- Advanced Facials17th Oct 14
- Indian Head Massage25th Oct 14
- Mixed Media Art25th Oct 14
- Certificate II in Nail Technology8th Nov 14
- Manicure & Pedicure8th Nov 14
- Portfolio Building Workshop5th Jan 15
- Waxing & Tinting9th Jan 15
- Acrylic & Gel Nails10th Jan 15
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy23rd Feb 15
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising2nd Mar 15
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology2nd Mar 15
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Visual Arts (2d Art & Design)9th Mar 15
- Certificate IV in Photo Imaging13th Mar 15
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology13th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)13th Mar 15
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) Part Time13th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration10th Apr 15
- 14/11/13 AICD Photography students exhibition on next weekend...
- 14/10/13 Congratulations to Amelia Vivash - Winner of the 2013 Calico Brides, Felicia Austin - Runner Up and Anessa Catalano - Highly Commended!...
- 16/09/13 RAW Talent, check out AICD fashion graduates showcasing their ranges at the RAW Artists Showcase...
- 01/08/13 Fashion Friday Parade at Komune Resort featuring AICD's talented fashion design students - 7pm 2nd Aug 13 Komune Resort...
- 19/07/13 AICD Fashion Students to showcase their designs in the Brisbane Mall on 26th July 6pm...
- 19/04/13 Congratulations to Jane Rogers, winner a double movie pass for completing our styling graduate survey...
- 26/02/13 AICD is expanding! AICD Brisbane is moving into a new larger campus over the next few weeks! AICD Gold Coast's Acacia campus is also expanding too!....
- 21/12/12 AICD is now closed for the Christmas holiday break and will reopen on Wednesday the 3rd of Jan....
- 21/12/12 AICD Christmas Newsletter!
- 20/11/12 VET FEE-HELP Loans now available for Diploma of Beauty Therapy, Diploma of Photo Imaging, Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services, Advanced Diploma of Fashion and Textiles Merchandising and more...
- 19/10/12 Congratuations to our students Kerry-Ann Andersson - winner of the 2012 Calico Brides Competition, Jaymi Spina - Highly Commended Award Winner and our 5 finalists!...
- 24/08/12 You are invited to the 'Head in the Clouds' parade event Wed 24th October...
- 08/08/12 New 'Try a Career Workshops' announced...
- 27/07/12 New visual arts and design courses for 2013!...
- 03/06/12 Congratulations to our fashion student Kerry-Ann Andersson, winner of the 'Fashion on James' design competition...
- 14/05/12 Congratulations to our styling student Candice Naughtin, winner of 'The Stylist's Apprentice' competition by Westfield Garden City...
- 23/12/11 AICD is now VET FEE-HELP Approved! This means that you can now access VET FEE-HELP assistance for studying in our Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology and Advanced Diploma of Interior Design courses!...
- 22/12/11 Merry Christmas! The AICD office is now closed for Christmas and will reopen on the 2nd of January...
- 14/10/11 New Eyelash Extension Course!
- 12/10/11 Come along to the Hello Fashion presents AICD styling graduates parade on the 4th of Nov...
- 11/10/11 Congratulations to Liezl Boshoff winner of the Highly Commended Award at the 2011 Calico Brides Competition...
- 17/08/11 Enter our Photography competition to celebrate the announcement of new photography courses!...
- 17/08/11 AICD announces 2012 January Summer School courses...
- 12/07/11 Congratulations to Sara Hultman for winning the Avenue Designer Competition final on Sunday the 3rd of July...
- 15/06/11 Evolved Designs: AICD Advanced Diploma of Fashion Design students present their collections at Sanctuary Cove...
- 11/06/11 Winter Chills and Fashion Thrills parade a success...
- 11/05/11 AICD releases new Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy part-time course...
- 09/05/11 AICD Styling students present: 'For the Love of Fashion: Winter Chills and Fashion Thrills' parade at Light Space...
- 09/05/11 Support 6 local up and coming designers showcasing their latests collections in the Evolve Fashion Showcase at Sanctuary Cove...
- 21/03/11 Over the past week we have had some problems with our Website and Emails. If you have not received a response to an email or online course enrolment from the past week, please get in touch with us as we may not have recieved your message...
- 17/12/10 Shoe Design, Make-Up and Beginner Sewing Holiday Courses starting on Monday the 10th of January! Last minute positions available - enrol now!
- 17/12/10 The AICD team wishes everyone a very Happy New Year! We have now re-opened our office, call to book an appointment to find out about our courses for 2011!
- New Holiday Courses Scheduled to run in January!
- Congratulations to Katie Styles for winning the Billabong 'Design a Bikini' Bikini Showdown Competition!
- Come to see the Unborn Treasures Show at the Sanctuary Cove Theatre on December 14th...
- Congratulations to Masa Gracanic for winning the Halloween Costume Design Competition held by the Temple Bar!
- Congratulations to Jane Andrewartha for winning the 'Runner Up' prize in the Qld Brides Design Awards 'Calico Brides' Competition!
- Come along to the 'Students Present Fashion Friday' parade on Friday 24th Sept at Temple
- Photos from the Metamorphosis Parade!
- Come along to the 'Metamorphosis...' parade Wed 18th Aug from 6pm at Lauxes'
- Congratulations to Julian Napier for winning the 'Electic Playground Club Couture' Fashion Competition!
- Photos from some recent photoshoots!
- Congratulations to Masa for winning the 'Little Green Dress' Design Award!
- Congratulations to Sam, Hazel, Sally & Stevie for their awards in the 'Style Off' competition...
- AICD is opening in Brisbane in 2010! More information coming soon!
- AIBT is now ITEC approved, giving our beauty students the opportunity to achieve international qualifications in Beauty. More information coming soon.
- Varsity Lakes Train Station is now open!
- March 2010 Intake of Certificate III in Styling course booked out. Next course starting in April 2010 - limited positions.
- Congratulations to Kylie Landsborough for her win at the Qld Bridal Design Awards last night! Also congratulations to Aubrey Wright winning the 'Highly Commended' award, Han Ho and Stephanie Mowat for winning 'Commendation' awards!...
- New dates set for January 2010 Summer School Courses
- We are now offering Interior Design Qualifications! Check back soon for more information!
- Photos from 'SIX' fashion parade held at 19Karen on the 28th of August...
- Receive a double pass to the September Issue when you enrol in the Diploma of Fashion Design / Business or Styling...
- Student's graduation parade to be held at 19Karen Contemporary Artspace on the 28th of August...
- Photos from the parade at Elsewhere on the 21st of June...
- Our street address is changing on the 1st of July due to the Council's road name change...
- Student's Fashion Parade to be held at Elsewhere on the 21st of June...
- Congratulations to Renee Enoka for winning the 'Designing A Fashion Career' competition...
- Congratulations to our styling student Sarah Rugg for winning the 'Style Off' competition...
- Congratulations to our students Renee and Olivia who have become finalists in the 'Designing a Fashion Career competition...